How to Apply
All international students who are aiming for full time studies at the Latvia University of Agriculture (Exchange students are applying here) need to take into account following application steps:
Step 1: Choose your study programme
Your educational background determines which kind of study programmes you can apply for. Information and details about the programmes can be found in our section on study programmes.
Step 2: Application
Intakes and deadlines
Application is open round the year, but please check below the information about deadlines for each semester and take into account information about admission terms of each particular study programme
Application deadlines for Autumn semester:
July 1 - for applicants who need a visa
July 15 - for applicants who do not need a visa
Application deadlines for Spring semester:
November 1 - for applicants who need a visa
December 15 - for applicants who do not need a visa
- Please check the information about the migration
- For doctoral studies you can apply round the year
Application package consist of following documents:
- Application form for bachelor, master studies or an Application form for doctoral studies (complete the respective form electronically, print out and sign it);
- Passport copy;
- Copy of documents that state your previous education (diploma, transcript of records) in the original language. If the document is not in English or Latvian, notarized translation in English have to be provided;
- Copy of document that states your English proficiency (IELTS, TOEFL, etc.), if your mother tongue is not English or you have not obtained your previous education in English. An online interview will be organised, if you can not provide any certificate (get more information in Step 4);
- Copy of receipt confirming the payment of application fee 155 EUR (ask for invoice if needed). Application fee is non-refundable and you will need to cover the costs of any bank charges incurred.
Additional documents for students that are applying for doctoral studies:
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Recommendation Letter;
- An overview of funding sources for non EU citizens (for tuition fees, costs of living and research costs).
Bank details for application fee
Name of the account holder: Latvijas Lauksaimniecibas universitate
Bank name: Valsts kase
Bank address: Smilsu iela 1, Riga, LV-1919, Latvia
SWIFT code: TRELLV22
IBAN account number: LV76TREL9160031000000
Comments/purpose of payment: Admission fee for Student’s name, Surname.
Submission of documents
There are three ways to submit your documents to the University:
|Send by e-mail:||Post to:||Bring personally to:|
|email@example.com||International Cooperation Centre, Latvia University of Agriculture, Liela iela 2, Jelgava, LV–3001, Latvia||International Cooperation Centre, Liela street 2, Jelgava palace, room 195 (google map)|
- Do not forget that the application package must be complete, incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Send only copies, not originals (do not send original documents to LLU. All documents submitted become the property of LLU and cannot be returned. All documents will be destroyed after selection).
- Make sure your copies are clear and easy to read (faint or dark copies can be difficult to read and you may be asked to send new copy).
Step 3: Academic recognition of foreign diploma
After receiving ALL required documents, according to legislation of the Republic of Latvia, LLU will forward your education documents to Academic Information Centre(AIC, www.aic.lv) for recognition. Once we will receive the decision, you will be informed about that electronically. Please note that the process of recognition can take 3-4 weeks. A positive decision LLU gives rights to continue the admission process.
Step 4: Entrance examination
Entrance exams are required to all applicants for Bachelor's level admission. Please check admission requirements of each study programme. Master level students are exempted from the entrance exam.
If you need to submit and don`t have a document that states your English proficiency (IELTS, TOEFL, etc.), LLU will organise an interview to check your language knowledge.
- To secure both, as exam in respective field, as interview, a computer, stable internet, web-cam, microphone and skype is needed.
- Applicants can take the examination no more than twice in the period of six month.
Step 5: Confirmation of study place
After fulfilling requirements of the Step 4, LLU will issue an Acceptance letter, Study agreement and Rental agreement of LLU dormitory accommodation.
- Be sure, that you make all in agreements mentioned payments within the indicated deadlines and before visa interview (if applicable)!
- If your application for visa or Residence Permit will be denied, LLU will return the payments (bank comission for sending the refund is covered by student).
Step 6: Travelling to Latvia
Latvia is a member of European Union (EU) and forms a part of the Schengen Area. Get more information about migration matters in our website.
The residence permit obtaining procedure can last over one month. Be sure to duly arrange all herewith connected questions. Once the residence permit is acquired, it will be valid for one year. The residence permit must be prolonged every year.
More information about visa and residence permits in Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs (OCMA) website: http://www.pmlp.gov.lv/en/home/services/
Information about Latvian missions in the world: http://www.mfa.gov.lv/en/diplomatic-missions
Step 7: Registration week
Dates for the registration week and for the beginning of semester are not fixed and are appointed in Acceptance letter.
During this week registration for studies and signing of a study agreement takes place and students get acquainted with environment, facilities etc. We are expecting that you will come to Jelgava during this week.
!N.B. If you arrive later, after arrival please come to International Cooperation Centre immediately!
Remember, we are here to help you! If you require assistance or any question appear, please contact us!