Skip to main content


Study matters

As an Exchange student, where can I find the course catalogue and how do the application procedure is organised?
Find more information here:

Am I eligible for Full time studies at LLU?
It depends on your previous education, acquired grades as well as on your English language level. Basically, if you are an eligible student for studies at university in your home country, then you shouldn’t encounter any problems at LLU. Send your documents of previous education to LLU ( and ask for advice.
Admission requirements of each study program you can find here ( by clicking on programme of interest.

What is the English knowledge in order to study at LLU?
It depends on chosen study programme. Click on study programme of interest: and check admission requirements!

As a Full Time student, where can I find the application procedure?
Find more information here:

What is Registration week and should I attend it?
During this week the registration for studies, signing of documents takes place and you will get acquainted with environment, other students etc. It’s not compulsory to take place in activities of this week, but it is organised to help students to get settled and familiarize themselves with the University. A detailed information/program about the Registration Week activities will be prepared and sent to you by E-mail before beginning of studies.


Practical matters

What are the first steps I should take after arrival?
You should get settled into the Dorm and relax. Let your relatives and friends know that you have safe and sound reached your destination. Once you have done this, you should go to your Coordinator. Either you are an Exchange student or a Full Time student you can find your Coordinator from Monday to Friday in Jelgava palace ( (address: Liela street 2), in room 192.

Will there be Wi-Fi available?
Yes, you will have Wi-Fi access all across the University campus. Firstly, you will have to sign an agreement with the University about the use of the Wi-Fi, then you will be given an access code which you will be able to use on all of your devices.

Where can I get medical assistance?
There are several medical institutions in Jelgava where you can receive medical services:
 - Jelgava Hospital (address: Brīvības bulvāris 6, web:,
 - Zemgale Health Centre (Address: Zemgales prospekts 15; web:,
 - Jelgava Health Centre (address: Sudrabu Edžus iela 10; web:

To receive a treatment, you need to have an appointment with doctor. Call to the medical institution and ask for available time – ask your local buddy or International Cooperation Centre for help if needed. In case of emergency dial 112 or 113 (ambulance).

Do I need a health insurance?
Yes! Be sure that you have obtained an internationally recognized health insurance policy. It is possible to acquire insurance in Latvia as well. Contact International Cooperation Centre for more information.

What is the cost of living?
Living expenses in Latvia will vary according to your personal requirements and general standarts of living, but in general you need to consider with average monthly costs of ~400,00EUR, that includes:
    - accommodation: 70.00 - 129,00EUR (LLU accommodation)
    - food: 200,00EUR
    - leisure/other: 80,00EUR

Do I need an adapter for the  wall socket?
In Latvia two pin plug (C/F plug type, 220 volts AC, 50 Hz) is in use.


Migration matters

When issued a visa, for how long can I reside in the Schengen Zone?
According to the type of visa issued by the certain embassy/consulate of any Schengen country there are different restrictions that apply to the particular visa in accordance to the nature of travelling and other relevant circumstances. However, the most common type of visa issued to the travellers can reach the maximum of 90 days in every six month period starting from the date of entry.

If I`m an EU/EEA citizen – do I need to register my stay in Latvia?
Yes, according to legislation of Republic of Latvia, if the duration of your stay exceeds 90 days within a 6 months period you must register in the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs (OCMA) and receive a Registration Card.

Do I can go to other EU countries if I’m not a citizen of any EU country?
A Schengen visa obtained by any of the Schengen Area member countries allows free movement to its holder within the whole Schengen Zone regarding the European Union Schengen members as well as the EFTA Schengen members, up to its validity and timeframe.
More information you can acquire here:


Dormitory matters

Where can I stay during my studies at LLU?
LLU offers comfortable accommodation possibilities in the city centre. All university facilities are reachable on foot or by bicycle and will take only up to 15 minutes. Here you can find more information about the living conditions:

How to order a place in dormitory?
If you are or will be registered as an exchange or full time student at LLU (have submitted all required application documents), we will arrange a dormitory accommodation for you. For all incoming students a standard place (bed in shared room (2 persons per room)) is reserved. Depending on your needs, it’s possible to stay also alone in the room, but a double price will be adjusted.

Do I have to take with me my own bed sheets or towels?
No, there is no need to take your own bed sheets or towels with you as Dormitory No.8 ensures that you’ll have bed sheets and towels in your room.

Do I have to take some cutlery or pots or pans with me?
No, you do not need to take any pots or pans or cutlery with you as the Dorm’s kitchen is stocked with these items.
For your information the Dorm offers an electric iron as well. You just have to ask it to the administration staff.