Academic study programme - Landscape Architecture and Planning
Landscape Architecture is a discipline that changes landscape through planning, design and management. It is united around the planning of outdoor spaces, environments and places and relationships between people and these spaces in terms of activities and perceptions.
Landscape Architecture is concerned with urban and rural landscapes in different scales starting from the smallest open space to the region.
Degree: Bachelor of Engineering in Landscape Architecture
Credits: 210 ECTS
Duration of studies: full-time – 3,5 years
Language of instruction: English
Tuition fee per year: 4000 EUR
Admission: once a year (September)
Contact person: Dr.arch. Natalija Ņitavska, email@example.com
Accredited until: December 31, 2021
The aim of the Bachelor’s degree study programme is to provide students with knowledge and skills necessary for the work in area of landscape architecture under the guidance of a certified specialist or to continue studies in the professional Master’s degree study programme Landscape architecture and planning with the goal to obtain the professional qualification of a landscape architect.
The content of the programme envisages to acquire art study courses which develop imaginative and creative thinking; acquire study courses in humanities, natural sciences and ecology, ensuring understanding of people and environment; master contemporary design methodology and project design and development techniques and methods. The theoretical knowledge and practical skills are reflected in the Bachelor thesis.
The graduates of the programme are able to:
- carry out the initial project research of the territory, summarising the information about nature and anthropogenic factors as well as the character of building;
- develop the functional zoning and compositional concept of the landscape territory according to the initial research of the territory, functional requirements and tasks;
- develop the territory improvement and greenery project for public and private outdoor space, including the planning of roads, squares, greenery plan, vertical and horizontal linking plans, plans of territory improvement elements, scope of work and materials, specifications as well as project documentation in all stages of the project;
- organise the work process in cooperation with the specialists of related disciplines, plan and manage the work in teams in accordance with the project development time schedule.
Applicants with completed secondary education are approved for admission to the programme, namely, you need to be eligible for university studies in your own country. Applicants must have at least "satisfactory" grade in Mathematics, must be able to present good English knowledge (minimum - CEFR level B2, IELTS score 5.5 and over, TOEFL score 520, TOEFL-iBT score 68 ) and must submit a Portfolio of at least 4 still life drawings in pencil drawing technique (by hand).
Career prospects and further studies
The Bachelor’s degree study programme Landscape architecture and planning is the first of the two sequential study programmes providing education necessary for the acquiring professional qualification and the rights to work as a self-employed landscape architect.
Our graduates work in all kinds of architecture, design, research companies. They can cover both urban and rural areas and ensure that implemented projects are qualitative and sustainable. Our specialists are able to designs different scale landscapes - residential areas, parks, shopping centers, parkways, golf courses, school campuses etc.
Why study Landscape Architecture at the Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies?
- Professional and knowledgeable academic staff.
- The research work in architecture science deals with the solution of topical problems in urban environment, cultural historical rural environment, the process of changes in nature foundation and new landscape elements and factors.
- You will have the opportunity to study in an international and multidisciplinary environment since there is cooperation with the Estonian, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Danish and Swedish universities. Within the framework of Erasmus network LE: NOTRE Thematic Network Project, students have an opportunity to participate in international study courses online and get acquainted with the international experience.
- Summer Schools, team work in research projects, solving current ecological, social and aesthetical problems, opportunities to publish research works in the Scientific Journal "Landscape Architecture and Art".
- Modern environment for creative work in the reconstructed historic hunting palace Valdeka.