Academic study programme - Sociology of Organizations and Public Administration
Being people driven personalities, we look forward to solving social issues in order to make the world a better place for everyone. We truly believe that it can be achieved by mastering social sciences.
Degree: Master of Social Sciences in Sociology (Mg.sc.soc.)
Credits: 120 ECTS
Duration of studies: full-time – 2 years
Language of instruction: English
Tuition fee per year: 3000 EUR
Admission: twice a year (September and February)
Program director: Dr.sc.soc. Līga Paula, firstname.lastname@example.org
Accredited until: December 31, 2023
The programme aims to educate highly qualified specialists for managerial posts in organizations of public and private sectors as well as for research institutions. The study programme ensures the student-centred approach to the study process which allows students to develop their theoretical and empirical knowledge, skills and competence for the in-depth analysis of the contemporary social processes, organizational performance and issues of public administration. The programme covers two academic years. In the 1st semester students extend their knowledge and skills in sociological theory, research methodology and techniques, organizational behaviour, and public administration. Study courses of the 2nd semester specifically focus on organizational studies, the public and nongovernmental sector, social welfare, research of the quality of life, rural studies, and development programmes. During the research practice in the 3rd semester students are offered to visit organizations of the public sector and are required to demonstrate their practical skills in one of the organizations; a few compulsory and elective courses are also delivered such as Project Management, Policy Analysis, Human Development, Time Management, and Innovations and Creativity. In the 4th semester the programme is completed with the elaboration and defence of a Master’s thesis.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification in social sciences or humanities. Applicants with Bachelor’s degree or professional Bachelor’s degree in other specialities are expected to have basic knowledge in social theory and research methodology. English requirements: IELTS score 6.0, TOEFL score 547, TOEFL-iBT score 76.
Career prospects and further studies
The graduates work and have successful careers in a wide variety of areas, such as teaching, research, politics, public administration, municipalities, social and health services, the media, personnel management, NGO and trade unions, insurance companies, police and Probation Service. A number of graduates have pursued their careers also in scientific and research institutions. The graduates are eligible to continue studies in the respective doctoral programmes in Latvia or abroad.
Why study Sociology of Organisations and Public Administration at the Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies?
- You will develop a deeper and multidisciplinary understanding about management of organizations and people in the public, private and nongovernmental sectors as well as how to improve their performance.
- You will acquire knowledge and practical skills in: (1) researching social structures and issues, organizational behaviour and performance, (2) developing proposals and solutions, and (3) their practical implementation.
- You will be equipped with knowledge and skills on contemporary trends in social life, public policies, and organizations, which form strong foundation for your future career in any field or job highly related to social responsibility.
- We offer you an interactive study process: organized field trips, opportunities of e-learning, problem solving seminars and discussions, guest lectures, and research practice.
- We ensure the student-centred approach to the study process and focus on your needs and interests in every study course.