Skip to main content

Practical matters

After arrival
Please, come to International Cooperation Centre (Jelgava palace (, room 192) to gain access to university information system and Wi-Fi. Let your relatives and friends know that you have safe and sound reached your destination.

Registration week
During this week the registration for studies, signing of documents takes place and you will get acquainted with environment, other students etc. It’s not compulsory to take place in activities of this week, but it is organised to help students to get settled and familiarize themselves with the University. A detailed information/program about the Registration Week activities will be prepared and sent to you by E-mail before beginning of studies.

Immigration procedures after arrival and extension of RP
All international students, who enters and resides in the Republic of Latvia for longer than 90 days (three month) counting from the first day of entry, need to deal with immigration procedures.

Citizens of EU/EEA member States do not need a visa to enter Latvia but after arrival in Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs need to apply for registration card (ID card) (

Citizens of all other countries need to deal with immigration procedures already before traveling to Latvia. After arrival you need to apply for residence permit card or receive it at the OCMA. To receive residence permit card you will need to present X-Ray results, health insurance policy (internationally recognised and valid for whole period of stay or bought in Latvia) and passport. The RP card will allow you to stay in Latvia for one year and after the year you will need to prolong your stay.

After receiving your registration card (ID card) or RP card, declare your place of residence in Latvia! You can do it while receiving ID card or RP card.


  • Inform International Cooperation Centre if you change your declared living place (address) in Latvia or your passport!
  • For citizens of non-EU/EEA countries! Remember, that the RP normally is granted for one year (the period can be also shorter) and that you will need to extend your RP. At least 45 (max 90 days)  before expiration of your RP contact the staff of International Cooperation Centre to get a new invitation and ask for documents that need to be submitted.

Opening a bank account
Now, after receiving your registration certificate (ID card) or RP card you`re a resident of Latvia and it is much easier for you to open a bank account. Take your passport and your new ID document with you and go to bank of your choice. The most popular banks in Latvia: Swedbank, SEB banka, Citadele, DNB, Nordea and other.

The calling country code for Latvia is (00371) + telephone number. The best option for making and receiving mobile telephone calls and messages is to buy a pre-paid card and later just to recharge it. There are 3 mobile telephone network operators in Latvia:  Bite, LMT, Tele2 and you do not need to present any documents to purchase a prepaid SIM-card.

In case of emergency you should call: 112. This is the contact number for the emergency services and can be used to contact police, fire brigade, ambulance and gas emergency services.

On the other hand, call 1188 to get more information about public transport options and schedules, addresses and working hours of shops and services as well as about different events etc. This is a paid service and you will be charged per minute.

Postal services
Latvijas Pasts is a state-owned company, that secures postal (letters, postcards, parcels, packets etc.), financial (payments, cash transfers etc.) and different other services.
In Jelgava the main post office is located at 2b Katolu street. It is open 08:00-19:00 Monday to Friday and 09:00-13:00 on Saturdays. Sundays closed.
If you expect to receive an important letter during your stay at the university, use following address:
Your name
International Cooperation Centre
Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies
2 Liela str., Jelgava, LV-3001
Please, inform International Cooperation Centre about upcoming dispatch.

Student Card
All international students are supposed to obtain the student card (ISIC). This card is very useful during the stay in Latvia. This student card gives various discounts at theatres, cinemas, etc. The card also gives a discount when a student travels by bus or train within the country and within the towns. ISIC student card is necessary also for getting access to the university library and Sports centre. For more information concerning obtaining the card contact International Cooperation Centre. More information about ISIC:

Student life
Stay socially integrated!- enjoy your student life!

Medical assistance
There are several medical institutions in Jelgava where you can receive medical services:
- Jelgava Health Centre (address: Sudrabu Edžus iela 10; web:;
- Zemgale Health Centre (address: Zemgales prospekts 15; web: );
- Jelgava Hospital (address: Brīvības bulvāris 6, web:
o receive a treatment, you need to have an appointment with doctor. Call to the medical institution and ask for available time – ask your local buddy or International Cooperation Centre for help if needed. In case of emergency dial 112 or 113 (ambulance).

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)
The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is a joint document for all European Union, European Economic Area countries and Switzerland Confederation that confirms the rights of citizens to receive state-funded emergency and necessary healthcare services to the same extent that it has secured the country's population.
The EHIC ensures that the necessary and urgent medical care is given to the same extent as is provided to the country's residents, where patient is receiving a medical help.This medical help will be provided by the hospitals and the doctors who provide state-guaranteed health care services.
Find more information about EHIC in Latvia, provided services etc. here:

Health insurance - Be sure that you have obtained an internationally recognized health insurance policy. It is possible to acquire insurance in Latvia as well. Contact International Cooperation Centre for more information.