How to Apply
All international students who are aiming for full time studies at the Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies need to take into account following application steps:
Step 1: Choosing a study programme
Your educational background determines what kind of study programmes you can apply for. Information and details about the programmes can be found in the study programmes section.
Step 2: Preparation of documents
Please, prepare the necessary documents for online application procedure:
- A copy of your passport;
- Copy of documents that state your previous education (diploma, transcript of records) in their original language. If the document is not in English or Latvian, a notarized translation in English must be provided;
- Copy of a document stating your English proficiency (IELTS, TOEFL, etc.), if you are not a native English speaker. An online interview will be organised, if you fail to provide any certificate (get more information in Step 5);
- Copy of a receipt confirming the payment of the application fee:
- 160 EUR - for all foreign applicants
- 300 EUR - for applicants from countries that require a visa or residence permit to reside in the Republic of Latvia, an additional assessment shall be performed (please, check the list of states here)
Application fee is non-refundable and you will need to cover the costs of any bank charges incurred.
Additional documents for students that are applying for doctoral studies:
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Recommendation Letter;
- An overview of funding sources for non EU citizens (for tuition fees, costs of living and research costs).
Bank details for application fee
Name of the account holder: Latvijas Lauksaimniecibas universitate
Bank name: Valsts kase
Bank address: Smilsu iela 1, Riga, LV-1919, Latvia
SWIFT code: TRELLV22
IBAN account number: LV76TREL9160031000000
Comments/purpose of payment: Admission fee for Student’s name, Surname.
!N.B. Please note that the application process must be completed in full, incomplete applications will not be considered.
Step 3: Application
Intakes and deadlines
Application for studies is open all year long, but please check below the information about deadlines for each semester and take into account information about intakes for each particular study programme
Application deadlines for Autumn semester (studies start in September):
July 1 - for applicants who need a visa
July 15 - for applicants who do not need a visa
For Autumn semester of study year 2020/2021:
August 1 - for applicants who need a visa
August 15 - for applicants who do not need a visa
Application deadlines for Spring semester (studies start in February):
November 1 - for applicants who need a visa
December 15 - for applicants who do not need a visa
- Please check the information about the migration
- For doctoral studies you can apply round the year
Submission of documents
To submit your documents, please, use following button: Apply now
Make sure your copies are clear and easy to read (faint or dark copies can be difficult to read and you may be asked to send new copy).
Step 4: Academic recognition of foreign diplomas
After receiving ALL the required application documents, according to legislation of the Republic of Latvia, LLU will forward your education documents to Academic Information Centre (AIC, www.aic.lv) for recognition. Once we will receive the decision, you will be informed about that electronically. Please note that the process of recognition can take 3-4 weeks. A positive decision gives LLU the rights to continue the admission process.
Step 5: Entrance examination
The entrance exam is carried out online and is mandatory to all applicants who are applying for a bachelor's programme. Please check admission requirements of each study programme. Master level students are exempted from the entrance exam.
If you need to submit and do not have a document that states your English proficiency (IELTS, TOEFL, etc.), then LLU will require you to hold an online language interview to assess your language level.
- To secure both the exam (in the respective field) and an interview, a computer (not a smartphone), a stable internet connection, web-cam, microphone and skype are needed.
- Applicants can take the entrance exam no more than twice in a six month period.
Step 6: Confirmation of the study place
After fulfilling the requirements outlined in step 5, LLU will issue an Acceptance letter, Study agreement and Rental agreement of LLU dormitory accommodation.
- Be sure, that you complete all the payments outlined in the agreements within the indicated deadlines and before the visa interview (if applicable)!
Step 7: Travelling to Latvia
Latvia is a member of European Union (EU) and forms a part of the Schengen Area. Get more information about migration matters in our website.
The process of obtaining a residence permit can last over one month. Be sure to duly arrange all herewith connected questions. Once the residence permit is acquired, it will be valid for one year. The residence permit must be prolonged every year.
More information about visas and residence permits in the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs (OCMA) website: http://www.pmlp.gov.lv/en/home/services/
Information about Latvian missions in the world: http://www.mfa.gov.lv/en/diplomatic-missions
Step 8: Registration week
Dates for the registration week and for the beginning of semesters are not fixed and are stated in the Acceptance letter.
During this week, registration for studies and signing of a study agreement takes place and students get acquainted with the environment, facilities etc. We expect you to have arrived in Jelgava by this week.
!N.B. If you arrive later, please come to the International Cooperation Centre immediately!
Remember, we are here to help you! If you require any assistance or have any questions, please contact us!