Agri-Food Business Management
Are you looking for higher level studies that combine knowledge acquisition in contemporary agricultural and food business management with travelling and gaining new experiences in Europe? The international master's programme Agri-food Business Management offers acquiring of knowledge to ensure economically viable food production and stable food supply while respecting food safety requirements with the focus on rural economy, animal welfare, social and environmental issues at two of the leading life science universities in Latvia and Lithuania. To address these priorities, the study programme provides students with in-depth knowledge, extended skills and practical competencies in the field of agriculture, food processing and business management.
Degree: Master Degree of Social Sciences in Management Science
Credits/ECTS: 80CP/120 ECTS
Duration of studies: full-time 2 years
Language of instruction: English
Tuition fee per year: 3000 EUR (EU), 4000 EUR (non-EU)
Admission: once a year (September)
Contact person: Dr.oec. Gunta Grīnberga-Zālīte, firstname.lastname@example.org
Accredited until: May 27, 2027
Master’s degree study programme Agri-food Business Management is a joint degree programme that is implemented jointly by two leading life science universities in the Baltic States: Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies (Jelgava, Latvia) and Vytautas Magnus University (Kaunas, Lithuania). The programme is intended for providing students with theoretical knowledge and practical competences in the agri-food industries and entrepreneurship as well as promote their leadership skills and critical thinking to prepare students for international careers, including research, in leading agri-food companies and organisations.
Aim of the study programme
Provide students with knowledge and skills relevant for the requirements of the industry / labour market in agriculture and food processing industry, bio-economy, leadership, business and administration, finances, international marketing. After completion of the programme in addition to a joint diploma in public administration you will have unique experience from studies in international companies of the industry as well as professional contacts for the development of your future career.
Career opportunities for graduates are diverse and in wide range of areas. They can work in all kinds of agriculture or with food production related companies, in food processing companies, in banks or financial agencies, in agricultural consultancy firms, in research centres, in governmental and non-governmental organisations etc. on national or international level.
Study plan and structure
Semester 1: Corporate culture and human resource development; Cooperative management; Research methods; Agricultural economics and policy.
Semester 2: Managerial accounting and control; Finance management; Strategic management of agribusiness; Agribusiness planning and evaluation of investment projects.
Semester 3: Integrated marketing communication in agri-food business; Operations and supply-chain management in agribusiness; Innovation of food system; International marketing in agri-food business.
Semester 4: Writing a Master Thesis
- Extended knowledge and understanding of agri-food value chains and their management, which ensures the ability to integrate knowledge of multidisciplinary areas for scientific and practical research.
- Ability to apply complex problem-solving skills in agri-food business management as well as understand the importance of innovation in entrepreneurship. Skills to select and apply appropriate methodology for competition assessment and to independently design, plan, and manage sustainable business and marketing strategies to enhance a company’s competitiveness in the global market.
- Ability to plan and critically evaluate investment projects in food production and agriculture by demonstrating critical thinking and in-depth analysis during problem solving. Students are able to demonstrate ethical and socially responsible leadership skills and a manager’s skills in a variety of problem situations.
- Effective communication and networking skills that ensure the ability to organize and participate in decision-making process, as well as the ability to represent a company in negotiations, participate in discussions with agribusiness management professionals and policy makers, provide arguments on complex and / or systemic agri-food business and bioeconomy issues.
- The assessment of professional skills – will be measured in independent and practical work. Which includes: calculations, information collecting and processing with various methods (debates, discussions, case studies, publications, research paper writing, creation of a portfolio, etc.) are used according to the aim of the specific study course.
- Knowledge is assessed by grades taken from tests, calculations, individual works and as a part of study course exam. The assessment of integrated knowledge, skills and competencies will be tested with the resulting Master thesis.
Academic Bachelor’s degree obtained in undergraduate studies or the second level higher professional education. Applicants with Bachelor’s degree or professional Bachelor’s degree in other specialities are expected to have the basic knowledge in management and economics.
The requirement of the English language knowledge if your native language is not English: IELTS score 6.0, TOEFL score 547, TOEFL-iBT score 76.
Citation from director of the program Dr.oec. Gunta Grīnberga-Zālīte:
“International master's studies are not only an exciting cognitive process, in which valuable knowledge is gained, but also the right time to meet friends for life, develop your career and build your business networks with associates for a better future!